What To Do When Sickness Hits
You know the feeling…You’ve got chills running through your body, you can’t stop sneezing, your head feels full, your body aches and you just get that feeling. When that thought first occurs: “Oh NO! I’m getting sick!” it’s time to act and to act fast. Here’s a sure fire way to help the body open up, sweat it out, and move through the illness faster.
THE GINGER BATH
- Take a hand full of quarter sized slices of ginger (large enough to not go down the drain) and add to a very hot bath.
- Gather up pajamas, a warm cap, towel and a large glass of water.
- Head into the bathroom with everything you need. Seal off any drafts and close the windows. You’re about to sweat out the illness!
- Relax into the hot bath. Soak for 15-20 minutes while drinking water. Let your body relax and SWEAT! Move slowly because you can be light headed.
- When you get out of the bath the key is to not get cold! No drafts or breezes. You want to continue to sweat once you put on your cozy pajamas.
- Hop into bed, cover up with lots of blankets. Breathe deep and continue to sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- Your internal timer will “ding” and that means it’s time to head back to the bathroom to change.
- Again no cold breezes or drafts. Take off your pajamas and transfer into some clean/dry clothes.
- Take it easy and take your immune boosting herbs such as Yin Qiao or Gan Mao Ling.
This is a great way to help kids fight off a cold. Just remember, this is for the beginning stages only and not advisable once a fever is present. Our kids get excited to “Swim with the fishes” (aka little floating pieces of ginger.) We hope it gets yours on the path to wellness too!